Have you thought about a safer way to have a warm, crackling fire in your camping area? Smokey Bear has given EEK! seven tips for you and your parents to follow when you want a campfire. Always ask a parent to help you when around a fire because fires can be dangerous!
- Dig a small pit away from overhanging branches. (Most parks have campfire pits ready and waiting for you.)
- Circle the pit with rocks or be sure it already has a metal fire ring.
- Clear a five-foot area around the pit down to the soil.
- Keep a bucket of water and a shovel nearby.
- Stack extra wood upwind and away from the fire.
- After lighting, do not discard the match until it is cold.
- Never leave a campfire unattended, not even for a minute.
Now you know what it takes to have a safe campfire. What goes well with a campfire? Food! Go on to a list of favorite camping recipes.
Go Back to Summer Camping at the State Parks