Milk jugs are a common household waste product that you can reuse. This is an easy decoration to make that will light up the night for your holiday party or your frontstep at home. All you need is:
- 1 gallon plastic milk jug
- 6 cups of sand
- colored construction paper/used wrapping paper or other scrap paper
- tape or glue
- 1 votive candle
What to Do:
- First, be sure and clean out the milk jug with water and soap so that no milk residue remains.
- Now, cut the top off of the jug so that you still have the entire handle, but so that the front top part of the jug is open. Place about 1 inch of sand in the bottom of the jug.
- Fold the construction paper/wrapping paper/or other scrap paper around the jug and mark the shape on the paper. Cut out the paper to match the shape of the jug, then cut out a holiday design in the center of the paper using the scissors. If you are using plain scrap paper, make a holiday design on the outside to make the luminary more decorative.
- Tape or glue the construction paper to the outside of the jug.
- Place your candle in the sand so that it is placed in the center of the jug.
- Set the luminary outside by your driveway or on your porch. Light the candle in the luminary to welcome holiday visitors or passers by.
- Make several and line the driveway or surround your porch with them or give them as gifts. Have fun!